Skip to content
Vijaya Nagara Empire in Indian History:
- The founders of Vijaya Nagar Empire were Harihara and Bukka Rai, the revenue officers of the Kakatiya ruler Pratap Rudra Deva II of Warrangal
- They founded the dynasty in 1336 with the capital as Vijaya Nagara on the banks of Tungbhadra river witht the help of Saint Vidyaranya
- Vijayanagara kingdom lasted for 230 years and produced four dynasties.
Sangama (1336 – 1485)
Saluva – (1485 – 1505)
Tuluva (1505 – 1565) and
Aravidu (1565 – 1672)
- Krishna Deva Raya (1509 – 1529) belonged to the Tuluva dynasty. The Italian traveller Nicolocont visited his court.
- Krishnadeva Rayar is known as ‘Andhra Bhoja’
- He wrote Ushaparinayam and Amuktamalyada
- Allasani Peddanna, a Telugu poet was a courtier of Krishna Deva Raya. He is considered as the ‘‘Andra Kavita Pitamaha’’ the Grand Father of Telugu poetry.
- ‘Ashtadiggajas’ was the famous Scholastic Assembly in the court of Krishna Deva Raya.
- Vijayanagar Empire was visited by many foreign travellers.
- Nicolo Conti – Venitian traveller, visited during the reign of Devaraya I.
- Damingos Paes : He visited Krishna Devaraya’s court.
- Ferona Nuniz : A Portuguese who visited during Achyuta Raya’s reign.
- Durate Barbosa : A portuguese who visited Krishnadeva Raya’s court.
- Athenasius Nikitin (1415) : He was a Russian, who visited during Deva Raya I’s period He wrote, ‘Voyage to India’.